Who were the first students to use the library for medical study? Perhaps students studying medicine and pharmacy under Dr. Thomas W. Harris between 1879 and 1885. Dr. Harris' medical instruction was approved by the American Medical Association and sponsored by, although not officially affiliated with, the University of North Carolina.
In 1890, a medical curriculum was established under Dr. Richard Henry Whitehead. Although the program was not formally a part of the University, students on campus may have used the library in Smith Hall. To insure privacy and to avoid strong odors, anatomy sessions were sometimes held in the woods near the University.
Previous | Next | Start
Return to the Health Sciences Library Home Page